Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Maze Runner Review


Maze Runner by James Dashner

"shouldn't someone give a pep talk or something?" Minho asked, pulling Thomas's attention away from Alby.
"Go ahead" Newt replied.
Minho nodded and faced the crowd. "Be careful," he said dryly.
"Don't die."
James Dashner (The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1))

Maze Runner starts with a boy named Thomas waking up in a black box his memory wiped. Greeted by kids, in a 'community' they call the Glade. A place where they all live and work. They tell him they are trapped there, around their little world is a maze in all directions. They work during daylight hours trying to solve the maze. Once a week they get supplies and once a month a new boy is sent there. No explanation. Until the day after Thomas gets there a GIRL is sent through the box, the first girl any of them has ever seen. She carries a message.

I put this book on the shelf more than once. I read a lot of books with romance and Maze Runner has ZERO romance. A bunch of boys and ONE girl. Sounded like Lord of the Flies to me. It was a really good read. A lot was going on and it spooked me a few times, good suspense and not predictable. The slang they use took me a few chapters to get used. I loved the description of the Glade & maze, James Dashner painted a very fantastic picture.

The next book in the series The Scorch Trials is out already as well as a few prequels to Maze Runner. I am excited to read more about these kids and see what else they are put through. The Epilogue was VERY interesting and raises more questions than it answers. I recommend this for suspense lovers or if you ladies want a break, like I did, from the same old story of "two kids in love saving the world".

Rating: 4/5 - Excellent Puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment